AODA ACCESSIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE POLICY.
DECIEM's vision is for a human world of beauty. We are committed to creating a safe and inclusive space for all humans, and providing them with our very best service. The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines on how we can provide goods and services in a way that is accessible to everyone, including people with disabilities.
DECIEM understands that the obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and its accessibility standards, do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law. We are committed to complying with both the OHRC and the AODA.
Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, inclusivity, and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
DECIEM's policy outlines its commitments and processes in the following areas to fulfill the terms outlined in the AODA Customer Service Standard:
- Assistive Devices
- Service Animals
- Support Persons
- Notification of Temporary Disruption
- Feedback Process
- Notice of Availability of Documents
- Modifications to This or Other Policies
People with disabilities may use their personal assistive devices when accessing our goods, services, or facilities.
In cases where the assistive device presents a significant and unavoidable health & safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, other measures will be used to ensure the person with a disability can access our goods, services, or facilities.
We will ensure that our team members are trained and familiar with various assistive devices we have on site or provide to be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods, services, or facilities.
DECIEM will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that are inclusive and mindful of their disability. We will offer to communicate through the means requested by the customer, to the extent such means are available. This may include the following:
- Print communications
We will work with the individual to determine what method of communication works best for them.
DECIEM welcomes people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
When we cannot easily identify that an animal is a service animal, our staff may ask a person to provide documentation (template, letter, or form) from a regulated health professional that confirms the person needs the service animal for reasons relating to their disability.
A service animal can often be identified through visual indicators, such as when it wears a harness or a vest, or when it helps the person perform certain tasks.
A regulated health professional is defined as a member of one of the following colleges:
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- College of Chiropractors of Ontario
- College of Nurses of Ontario
- College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- College of Optometrists of Ontario
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- College of Psychologists of Ontario
- College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario
It is the responsibility of the individual using the service animal to ensure that the service animal is kept in control at all times.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises that are open to the public and other third parties’ premises. If confidential information needs to be shared, consent will be obtained from the customer, prior to any conversation with the support person.
In certain cases, DECIEM might require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for the health and/or safety of:
- The person with a disability
- Others on the premises
Before making a decision, DECIEM will:
- Consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- Consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- Determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises
NOTICE OF TEMPORARY DISRUPTION
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, DECIEM will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
DECIEM will provide accessible customer service training to:
- All employees and volunteers
- Anyone involved in developing our policies
- Anyone who provides goods, services, or facilities to customers on our behalf
All team members will be trained on accessible customer service as soon as practicable, after being hired.
Training will include:
- Purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- DECIEM’s policies related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services, or facilities to people with disabilities
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing DECIEM's goods, services, or facilities
Team members will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service policies.
DECIEM welcomes feedback on how we provide accessible customer service. Customer feedback will also help us identify barriers,respond to concerns, and become even more inclusive.
The feedback can be provided in the following ways:
- Speak to your respective Manager
- Send an email to Ashley Thomson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Randa Ashkar (email@example.com)
- Call +1 416 203 3992 and ask for an HR representative
DECIEM will use our best effort to provide a response within 14 days regarding any feedback. We will make sure our feedback process is accessible to people with disabilities by providing or arranging for accessible formats and communication support upon request.
AVAILABILITY OF DOCUMENTS
The documents related to DECIEM’s accessible customer service policy are available upon request by our customers (third party, clients etc.).
DECIEM will provide this document in an accessible format or with communication support upon request. We will consult with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or communication support. We will provide the accessible format in a timely manner and at no additional cost.
MODIFICATIONS TO THIS OR OTHER POLICIES
All policies of DECIEM will be reviewed continuously to promote the principles of dignity, independence, inclusivity, and equal opportunity for all humans.